Saturday, September 11, 2010

When it's over

Recently, I was listening to a CD I haven't listened to in a long while and one of the songs has played over in my head many times since. Some of the words really caused me to pause. The song is called "It's Over Now" and it is from the perspective of a father speaking to his son at the end of his life.

My son, my life was all poured out, like water, water, water on the ground...

My son, in the grace of God be strong, for you must go on like a soldier...

My son, the race was long and hard, and I stumbled, I stumbled all the way. 
But by His mercy, by His mercy I stand...

Ooh, and now there is for me a crown, a crown of righteousness
Which He will give me on that day...when I see His face.

(for the full song, listen to #10 on this CD)

How I long for the same words to be true of me at the end of my life. I want to be able to look back on my life and know that, while I certainly stumbled through, the mercy of Christ sustained me and He saw fit to use me. I want my children and grandchildren (and great grandchildren, if the Lord allows me to meet some of them!) to look at my life after I'm long gone, and be encouraged to continue to run the race that is set before them. And ultimately, I want to stand before Christ and hear those blessed words, "Well done, thou good and faithful servant."

As Christians, we are called to pour our lives out in service to Christ, and to use the entirety of our lives to advance His Kingdom and bring Him glory. And as Christian wives and mothers, specifically, we're called to do this primarily out of our homes; to be helpers to our husbands, that they can better serve Christ in what He has called them to, to disciple the children the Lord has entrusted to us, and to make homes that nurture our families and any others who enter them. While the everyday tasks you do as a wife, mom, and homemaker may seem mundane to you, they are blessing your family and, by God's grace, they are creating a legacy that can influence many generations to come for the advancement of Christ's Kingdom--what an amazing privilege!

No comments:

Post a Comment