Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The Dryer Saga

When we first moved into our home here in Virginia, Ben's parents were kind enough to give us a washer and dryer. They were extras they had at their house (I guess when you have that many people in one house, it doesn't hurt to keep extra appliances around-ha!). The problem: when we got the dryer here, it didn't work. Not a big deal; I just used the clothes line.

A few months ago, Ben's mom surprised me with a dryer she found on Craiglist. It worked really well for about a week--until we had a power surge during a storm while it was running. It was a sad day. For the past couple months, I continued drying clothes on the line or at my in-laws' house if the weather was not suitable for hanging the laundry out.

More recently, it's been too cool most days to hang clothes out, and with a new baby coming (just 6 weeks 'til Benjamin's due-date), I began thinking now would probably be a good time to either get it fixed or get a new (to us) dryer. I think once Benjamin is born, keeping my chores simple and staying home more will be slightly necessary for survival those first few weeks! Thankfully, Ben agreed and we started setting aside some money.

My in-laws know a dryer repairman who they have bought a couple dryers from over the years. When we told him what was going on with our dryer, he was confident he could fix it. We took it to his shop and for $100, he completely rebuilt the dryer. It basically has all new parts and ought to last us a long time!

The day after we brought it home, it wouldn't heat up at all. Thankfully, he has a 30 day guarantee, so two (very long) weeks later, we were finally able to work out a time to bring it back to him. He plugged it in and it worked just fine. He even dried a load of laundry in it! As it turns out, there was just something electrical that needed fixing in our laundry room (the two weeks wouldn't have been so long if we had known that before-ha!).

So, as of yesterday, I am the very happy owner of a (finally!) functioning dryer. My laundry pile hasn't been this small in ages. :)

Join us for Gratituesday at Heavenly Homemakers!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, very good! Especially with the weather getting cooler you'll be glad for the dryer. 1.) it would take really long outside if it got done at all, and 2.) the dryer produces heat. :) Of course, you've got a nice wood-stove. Down here, our dryer is dual purpose, since we don't have one. It heats up the house pretty nice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren-It was definitely already starting to take a LOT longer to dry things outside and it's not even THAT cold yet! I left a load out from morning until just before dusk and it was still a little damp. I haven't felt it producing a whole lot of heat, but I did notice the AC kick on a couple times when it was running. Our thermostat is in the laundry room. I turned it up (of course, now it's off altogether). :o)

    ReplyDelete