Friday, March 9, 2012

Joy for the rough days

Yesterday was a hard day for me.

I was up a lot during the night with a teething baby. I was awake early. The quick breakfast I had planned ended up taking an hour and a half of hands-on time (long story). I spent the day exhausted, unmotivated, and grumpy--and, of course, nauseous on occasion. I didn't get to take a nap and my mother's helper (who usually comes on Thursdays and helps me around the house and/or with the kids) wasn't able to come.

The children weren't bad. They played sweetly and napped well. But, I was just exhausted and feeling overwhelmed. I think I broke down and cried three different times over the course of the afternoon.

Finally it hit me that I really just needed an attitude adjustment. While Katie was watching a DVD and Benjamin was still sleeping, I fixed a cup of my midwife's pregnancy tea blend (with hibiscus in it--which makes it so delicious!) and spent some time reading the Bible.

God's word was such a balm for my weary mama heart yesterday. I came away refreshed and with a much better attitude than I started out with.

I did have one more emotional moment when Ben got home from work but he was so kind--and even suggested that we have cereal for dinner. I didn't go with that option (trying to make sure I get enough protein into my pregnant self!), but he did clean the kitchen after we ate which was a huge blessing.

Last night was worse than the night before. Poor Benjamin's little teeth just don't want to break through, it seems.

When I became a mother, I signed away my "right" to lots of personal leisure and a guaranteed good night's sleep. I knew I was in for a life of sacrifice for little people who probably won't fully appreciate what I do until they welcome their own little people into the world.
But you know? I'm not in this because it's fun (though most days it truly is). I chose this life because raising up the next generation of Christ-followers is a truly important work. God gave me these babies and called me to this ministry. And you know? It's going to be totally, 100% worth it.

The world may view what I do as a menial work--wiping noses, soothing teething babies, reading stories, playing with toys, carrying babies around in my belly for 9 months out of every two years or so.

But, they're wrong. The world can have its temporary pleasures and overwhelming mess of stuff. I want what matters forever, for eternity--even if it means trading off many of the convenience and fleeting niceties the world has to offer.
"What could bring more joy to an aging woman than to have her children rise up and call her blessed by their walking in the faith? What could bring more joy to a glorified woman than seeing around the heavenly throne a multi-generational crowd of her maternal influence? Look, Mom, you've fetched a thousand tongues to sing His praise!" -Womanly Dominion, pg. 122

3 comments:

  1. We all have days like that. Never fails something will go wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Mary Jo! Thanks so much for this post! It is so comforting as followers of Christ to know that we can find comfort in the Word of God and be at peace! I too have been having some trying days with Gideon who is also teething. I too have to remind myself that God has given me a great responsibility that some women don't have the opportunity to get...being a mother!
    I recently read 'Passionate Housewives Desperate for God' by Jennie Chancey and Stacy McDonald which was so encouraging and a great reminder of the great calling that God has set before me. God WILL provide the rest and refreshing we need!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand it can be hard, & believe me I have had plenty of days like that! Discouragement can feel so over whelming sometimes. For me it causes guilt for feeling so over whelmed which causes even more over whelming feelings! This pregnancy alone has knocked me more than I thought it would!
    But it sounds as if you know what to do when a troublesome day seems to just suddenly arise and makes you question this "load" you have been so dearly entrusted with!
    God bless you & that growing family of yours!

    ReplyDelete