Wednesday, March 21, 2012

One sixth

Katie crawled in bed with us in the wee hours of the morning this morning. This happens pretty often, and it really doesn't bother Ben or me at all.

I needed to leave the house early this morning and happened to wake up a little before my alarm was set to go off. I took the opportunity to just lay there and snuggle with my sweet girl, who is far too busy for snuggling during the day (most of the time, anyway).

It was so precious to lay there with her. Her little face is so precious--sweet chubby cheeks, baby blonde hair, full lips, long eyelashes. She's absolutely beautiful.

While I was trying so hard to soak in that moment (you know those mommy moments you just wish would last a little longer?) it occurred to me that she is already one sixth of the way to her 18th birthday. Maybe it's silly that I even thought about it. But, if the next five sixths go by as quickly as the first has, my baby girl will be all grown up before I know it.

I'm reminded every day of how quickly she's maturing. She is becoming more obedient, more helpful, more independent, more conversational, and more and more fun. I love my Katie, and I'm so thankful to the Lord for giving her to me as my firstborn child. What a treasure.


May God help me, despite how tired/busy/hormonal/etc. I may be, to soak up every moment I have with her. These days and years are so fleeting. And once they're gone, there's nothing I can do to get them back.

And ultimately, may God help me to the mama she needs--so that once the next five sixths are gone and my baby girl has become a woman, she will be one who loves the Lord with all she is and serves Him faithfully with all her years.

2 comments:

  1. This made me cry... My daughter is 11 months now, and I feel the same way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is beautiful! Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete