Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Cheesy Potato Pie

I've made this recipe a couple times lately, and we've really enjoyed it. I came across it in Breakfasts for Busy Moms when I was looking for some new recipes to try. I recently made up a bunch of hash browns for the freezer and this has been a great way to use them. Cottage cheese isn't something I always keep on hand, but I've been able to get some organic cottage cheese reduced for quick sale a couple times recently, so I've used that to make it. Paired with some muffins and/or fruit, it makes for a delicious and healthy breakfast. I like making a big pan of it Saturday morning so we can use the leftovers for a hearty breakfast Sunday morning when we're rushing around to get ready for church.

Excuse the terrible lighting in the photo! It was early in the morning.
6 eggs1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup small curd cottage cheese
4 cups shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
12 oz. frozen shredded hash browns
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
dash ground red pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degree. Whisk together the eggs, milk, and butter in a mixing bowl. Add in the rest of the ingredients and try to avoid leaving clumps of hash browns--it's tastier if they're mixed in well. Pour into a greased 9"x13" pan** and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until it's well set. Enjoy! It reheats really nicely in the toaster oven if you have leftovers.

**The original recipe says to use two 9" pie plates, but I only have one pie plate and have found the 9"x13" pan works just fine.

This recipe is linked to Tasty Tuesday and Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.

2 comments:

  1. Mary Jo, Yummmm! We could probably add crumbled bacon or sausage? Would that work? It sounds like it would. Thanks again for another recipe. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum!And I like Marian's idea to add bacon! No worries about the photo's lighting - my eyes don't work quite right early in the morning, either. ;)

    ReplyDelete