Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Adjusting

I can't believe my wee little baby is already three weeks old. The time is just flying by! Our life has certainly changed a lot in the past three weeks. My mom was here for the first two weeks of Benjamin's life and it was such a blessing to have her help and fellowship! She left last Monday and I've been 'on my own' with of my children. Life with a two year old and a newborn has certainly presented its own set of challenges, but the blessings are manifold. I am so thankful to the Lord for my two sweet babies!



Once Mom left, I tried to start doing everything--all the chores in my Motivated Moms Planner, cooking all our meals, keeping the house clean and keeping up with a busy toddler while nursing a newborn several times a day and a couple times during the night. I very quickly learned I wouldn't be able to keep up. And, that's okay--thankfully, my husband agreed. So, I've been just trying to keep up with the most important chores (cooking, keeping the kitchen clean, and laundry) and I've had some help with the rest. ;)


Our meals have been simple, we've been eating lots of leftovers, and our house has been far from spotless. We've even been using paper towels and paper napkins.  And, that's okay for now. Eventually, I'll be able to keep up with things like I did before. At the present, getting rest and snuggling my new baby are far more important--as I learned last time around, babies just don't keep.

5 comments:

  1. We used paper plates and cups the first month of the newborn stage, and I can't tell you how much it saved me in sanity! I had to learn to let a LOT of things go, but it's okay, you get a groove going in a few months time and everything falls back into place, just like before. Well, slightly modified, but almost just like before. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always get behind on housework and things in the first two to four months after the baby arrives. In time, the baby settles into a good routine, nursing is not as time consuming, baby becomes more interested in the world around him and is able to entertain himself more... and you do learn to adjust. It's amazing what a mom can do with a baby in her arms, or even while nursing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally understand! I have had a hard time keeping up with everything I used to do ever since I had my fourth baby! Some days it's all I can do to just do the basics, and some days I can get alot accomplished. I have to remember that once all my babies are grown, then I can have a spotless house! But for now, I need to just enjoy them because time passes too fast and they grow up too quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is amazing how a newborn turns your life upside down! I only have one (she is now 13 months) and I still can't get back to my old routines!

    Don't worry about the conveniences you are currently using to get you through this stage. You don't use them on a regular basis, and it is helping you to focus on your family. Which really is the most important thing you can do while your children are young!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy for your family. I couldn't help but notice what appear to be casebooks from lawschool sitting behind you on the couch. Brings back memories, tired tired memories :) from my law school days!

    ReplyDelete