Thursday, March 10, 2011

Katie Turns Two

Katie turned 2 on February 26. This is her birthday letter from this year--I meant to get it up on her birthday, but I got sick!

Dear Katie Lee,

I guess I'll probably say this every year, but it just doesn't seem like it was all that long ago that I held you in my arms for the very first time, and yet February 26th has rolled around again. It has been quite a year! You've grown and changed and learned so much. Being around to watch it every day has been such a joy; I wouldn't trade my job as your mommy for anything in the entire world.

Over the past year, you have really transformed from a baby into a little girl. You talk a lot (!), have all your teeth, and wear 2 and 3T clothes. You are also learning to be a great helper for Mommy. You throw things away, grab items from around the house, put your clothes in your drawer (good thing they're pretty much all wrinkle free {wink}), and help empty the dishwasher. You also love to bring in a bag when we're bringing groceries in. And, you really don't want anyone to help you with it!

Just after your first birthday, we found out you were going to be a big sister! Watching you fill this role since Benjamin was born has been really neat. You can him "Muh-nuh-nuh." You're so sweet to him, showing a great deal of concern when he cries ("Mommy, Muhnuhnuh 'rying!). You love to help me care for him by getting his pacifier, finding clothes for him, and turning the music on on his play mat.

In the past several months, you have also begun picking up the concepts we've been trying to teach you. You know nine of your colors (red, pink, blue, green, yellow, black, white, purple, orange) and you can count to 7. You're also starting to identify letters. You know the answer to the first question in the children's catechism and we've been working on teaching you the second. Most Sundays, you sit through church quietly without us needing to take you out--this is such a blessing for us! We are still working on teaching you to obey the first time we tell you something, but you've certainly shown a lot of improvement over the past several months.

One of the hardest things for me over the past year was when you decided to wean at 16 months. I'm so thankful for the time we had breastfeeding and I'm thankful weaning was very non-traumatic for you since you initiated it. The timing was good, though I do still miss that special time snuggling with you. You're a very busy girl! You sleep about 11 hours at night and take a 2-3 hour nap most afternoons--and you really need it with all the energy you burn the rest of the day!

Katie, I am so thankful the Lord gave you to us, and I'm looking forward to many more years of being your mommy. My prayer for you today and every day is that God would grant you repentance and faith at a young age and that you would ultimately grow into a woman who lives for Him! May He grant me wisdom to live my days out as a godly example before you.

Love you more than words can say,

Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment