Thursday, June 2, 2011

Great Read: Womanly Dominion

Womanly Dominion: More Than A Gentle and Quiet SpiritEarlier this year I ordered the book Womanly Dominion after hearing good things about it from many people I respect. I have slowly worked my way through it over the past couple months (you know, in all my spare time! {wink}) and I can honestly say it is by far one of the best books I have ever read. I am so glad I read it and I'm sure I'll read it through several more times.

Page after page was filled with encouragement for Christian women. Though it was geared toward women who are married with children, certainly much can be gleaned from its pages by any woman seeking to fulfill the dominion mandate in a feminine way, for the glory of God. As I read through this book, I found myself wanting to high-light or underline just about everything. It really was that good.

As I trudge through each day trying to get everything done that needs to be done, tend to the right-this-second needs of precious babes, love my husband, keep up with friends (and even blog occasionally!), it is easy to lose sight of the big picture--and that's really what this book was all about. Why do I do what I do?
"What is the mightiest strategy for influencing the world unto God-glorifying good? It was unveiled in the Garden of Eden. "Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth, and subdue it." Women of dominion who give their lives to the bearing and nurturing of God-fearing offspring are the power brokers of the earth. The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world!"

Oh, yeah. That's why. :)

The biblical role of women is under such severe assault in our society; sadly, even the church seems to have lost her footing in this regard. Regardless of what secularists (even within the confines of the church) say, Scripture is clear. A woman's role is one of submission, not because she is inferior to man, but because God's design for her is different.

"For a woman who rejects the mind of the world and puts on the mind of Christ, it is counted a great honor to follow in the submissive footsteps of the servant-hearted Son of God. For there's no more presigious role in the world than humbly occupying the position, and performing the role assigned by one's heavenly Father. This is what it means to be Christ-like. The way of humility is the road to glory. Dear Christ-loving women of dominion, regardless of what abuse the feminists heap on you, stay at your posts. Regardless of how shrill their screams become, play your position."

It was so hard to pick just a couple quotes to share; I underlined sections on just about every page in the book. I highly encourage you to read it, and would probably recommend it as the best book I know of about the biblical role of women. God's calling on women, though it may seem mundane to many, is a beautiful and fulfilling calling indeed--and Womanly Dominion is such an encouraging reminder of that truth!

What have y'all been reading lately?

1 comment:

  1. Hi my friend, long time I know. Joshua arrived on may 16th so I haven't been online much. You know the feeling I'm sure! I wanted to read this book as well, I just finished Feminine Appeal by Carolyn Mahaney I really enjoyed it:-) so this one is next just need to earn a few more swagbucks to order amazon card. Thanks for the short review I can't wait to start it. Miss ya much, Jess

    ReplyDelete