Tuesday, April 3, 2012

4 Weeks to a More Organized Home: Day 2

Now that my first trimester is pretty much over with (I'll be 13 weeks tomorrow--yay!), I am beginning to yearn for a little more structure and organization in our lives. While this wasn't an awfully hard first trimester as compared with my other two pregnancies, it was still more difficult to maintain everything like I normally {try} to.

So, even though I'm a day late, I'm joining in Money Saving Mom's 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home. I got ambitious and did both days' assignments today. It was so good to write out a to-do list and get almost everything done on it!

After writing out some goals for the week and a to-do list for today based on my goals, here's what I was able to get accomplished for the "challenge":

::Spent 15 minutes cleaning the living area (and was reminded how much you can get done in just 15 minutes!) and cleaned out the diaper bag.

Everything from the diaper bag, dumped out on our bed (it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be!):


The organized diaper bag. There was some trash to throw away (stale cheerios, anyone?), and I otherwise just put everything back where it belonged rather than just haphazardly throwing stuff in there. Much better.

That was yesterday's assignment. The assignment for Day 2 was to spend 15 minutes cleaning the kitchen and then deep clean the refrigerator, in addition to getting dressed, following your morning routine (which I didn't write out until this afternoon...hopefully I'll get that done tomorrow!), making a to-do list and finding 7 items to get rid of.

I have no idea why these photos uploaded sidways. The original files are correct. But, here is the fridge before and after.


It felt so good to get it all cleaned out! We're not vegetarians, even though most of what you see is fresh produce. Tomorrow I'll be picking up our gallon and a half of raw milk and some fresh eggs from "our" farm which will fill things up a little more. And, our freezer has a bunch of venison, as well as some grass-fed beef, and organic chicken (and sundry other randoms).

Sadly, I threw away a lot of things. It's so hard to keep food waste down during the first trimester when one's tastes are so fickle! One day something will be mouth-wateringly delicious, and the next it will make me gag.



And now, here's the box of stuff that should be heading to Good Will tomorrow. I did 14 items since I was catching up from yesterday.


Mostly I got rid of clothes Ben and I don't wear. But, I also threw in a teddy bear Katie got for free and doesn't play with, a doll she doesn't play with much (she has so many dolls!), and a corny trinket I got for Ben for Valentine's day while we were courting. I also threw away a shoe whose match was lost when we moved here from Florida (yes, the lone shoe has been in my closet for almost three years) and a broken picture frame.

It's so fun to be doing the assignment with a group of people. And having such a productive day (and ending the day with a clean house!) is really motivating. Here's hoping the rest of the four weeks is equally productive!

If you want to join in, be sure to head over to Money Saving Mom's 4 Weeks to a More Organized Home.

2 comments:

  1. Nice job - psst...can you come do mine? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a lot of work! I joined in the organization project a day late also, but wasn't quite so ambitious. I'm looking forward to tackling the project again tomorrow. Thanks for the inspiration!

    Also, your blog is lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete