Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Benjamin's 2nd Birthday Letter

The only decent picture I got on your birthday--you're such a  busy boy!

Dear Benjamin,

I always get reflective around my babies' birthdays. As I write this birthday letter, I can't help but think back to that December night (well, technically early in the morning--1:48am)  we welcomed you into the world with a perfectly beautiful, peaceful home birth. Labor was rough, but I think back to your birth with such incredible fondness. And I can't believe it's already been two years.

You have grown up so much since your last birthday. You talk a lot--perhaps even more than your big sister did when she was 2 (which is really saying something). I've lost track of how many words you know, but I would guess it's at least 200 and your sentences are often 5-6 words long (more often, though, 3-4 words).

You weaned at 17 months, when I was pregnant with Joshua. Just like it did with your sister, weaning made me sad. You adored nursing and kept going until I had absolutely nothing left. The process wasn't traumatic at all, but the first couple of months after we finished, you would frequently pat my chest and say, "All gone?"

It has been so neat to watch you become a big brother. You're still learning to be gentle, but you love Joshua so much--and from the little grins he gives when you give him attention, he loves you too. I'm sure one day before too long you all will become the best of friends.

You also play really well with Katie. It has been so fun for me to watch your friendship with her grow over the past few months. The bulk of your days are spent together, and you get along so well most of the time. She plays cars with you (which is a good thing since you love playing cars and easily spend a couple hours each day on this one activity), you play dolls/stuffed animals with her--it works out wonderfully. The time you spend together is a blessing for the two of you and for your mommy!

You are such a sweet, easy-going little boy. You are sensitive and [almost] always eager to please. You obey well most of the time and don't require much in the way of discipline yet (though you certainly have your less lovely moments!). Despite your laid-back personality, you are a pretty rough-and-tumble fellow and definitely "all boy." It's fun to watch how different you are from Katie in that regard.

There was a time when I wasn't sure what I would do with a little boy of my very own. Two years into it, I can say I absolutely love being your mama, my sweet little man. Your sweet chubby face and adorable smile and personality make my world a more beautiful place. The fact that you look so much like your Grandpa makes me smile too. I am so, so thankful the Lord gave you to me, Benjamin.

Watching you grow, I can't help but think about the reality that one day I will look [up!] at you and see a big man instead of my little boy. Your soft, chubby cheeks will be stubbly, your toddler hands those of a working man, and your problems bigger than I can solve with a kiss.

On your second birthday, my prayer for you is the same as it has been since the moment I knew you were growing in my belly. I long for the Lord to grant you faith in Christ as a child and pray that He would cause you to grow into a godly man who pours out his life in faithful service to Christ.

I love you more than I can say, my sweet firstborn son.

-Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment