Friday, January 18, 2013

These days aren't mine

There are things I know but still need to be often reminded of.

Our church has a prayer meeting every Wednesday night. I used to always go, but since Joshua was born I typically stay home and have some quiet, alone time to rest (with Joshua, of course). It's a time I look forward to every week.

Last Wednesday, a certain 3 year-old woke up from her nap in an awful mood. She didn't want to eat dinner or change her clothes and there was no convincing her to snap out of it, even when Daddy threatened to leave her home. When Ben and Benjamin headed out the door without Katie, she wasn't the only one who felt like crying.

I was looking forward to *my* quiet evening and instead I was stuck with a grumpy preschooler. 

You know what? Katie and I had a lovely evening together. She calmed down, ate some dinner, watched a little DVD (and I still managed to fit in some of my "quiet evening" stuff) and we cleaned up her room together before ending the night with stories, and snuggles, and kisses.

After I tucked in my sweet girl, I couldn't help but be struck with the reality that I have carefully laid out plans (most of the time!) but the Lord can cause them to change whenever He sees fit. And it's always for our good and His glory.

I may not have had my cherished quiet, alone time last week, but I'm so thankful to have been reminded once again that my days aren't really mine at all. They are His.

This post is linked to Finer Things Friday.

3 comments:

  1. Good reminder Mary Jo. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your post reminds me that I need to head to visit my grandbabes
    come see me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Mary Jo. It bears remembering no matter what stage of life one is in. :)

    ReplyDelete