Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Fulfilling the great commission as a mother

Image credit: trevinwax.com
 Before Jesus ascended into Heaven to be with the Father, His final command was the Great Commission.

"And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen." (Matthew 28:18-20)
I believe that every single Christian, no matter what, has a duty to obey this clear commandment to make disciples by preaching the gospel and teaching men and women to obey the commands of God. This should be the foremost goal in the life of a believer in Jesus Christ.

Before I had children I was very active in the evangelistic endeavors of our local church. I went door-to-door with other church members (and we went to a wonderful Reformed Baptist church--we weren't Jehovah's [False] Witnesses or Mormons) and also spent several hours each week at a local abortion clinic reaching out with the call of the gospel to women who were planning to kill their children by abortion. At the time, these were my primary efforts in advancing the Kingdom.

Now that I am married and spend most of my time at home with two young children, ministering in the same way I once did is no longer possible (as a side: I did continue ministering at the abortion clinic until we relocated to Virginia where the closest abortion clinic is about 2 hours away). During this season of life, my children are my disciples. I endeavor by God's grace, as Deuteronomy 6 commands, to teach my children the Scriptures all day, every day--in word and in deed. Whether the Lord gives us only these two babes, or twelve more, the primary disciple-making ministry of my life will be to them.

I want to encourage other moms of littles: by staying home with your children and training them in the Word of God, you are doing your part in obeying the Great Commission. In this season of life, God has not called you to leave your children behind to travel the world on mission trips or expend enormous amounts of effort in ministries outside your home. You only have 18 or so (or, possibly less if the Lord chooses to take you away from your children early or vice-versa) years with your children in your home; you need to make every moment with them count for eternity. Other ministries can wait. For now, the fruit you are bearing by making disciples of your littles is the sweetest thing you can offer to the God who has entrusted them to you.

I do want to mention that, though your children are your primary ministry, you are still called to speak the truth to people as you have opportunity. Our attitude should not be, "I'm raising my children so I've got my ministry check-mark and don't have to do anything else"! Think about other ways you can advance the Kingdom while still focusing the better part of your time on discipling your children.  This could be by speaking to the cashier at the grocery store or to other moms in your play group. You could leave gospel tracts as you go about your errands. You could write letters and speak to relatives as you have opportunity. And, you can support your husband in his ministry efforts outside your home as well as show hospitality in your home. 


What do y'all think?


3 comments:

  1. I love this. Thank you so much for the reminder. All of the running here and there, wiping noses, baths, meals and whatever else consumes our day, the reminder of what we need to focus their attention on needs to be front and center. Thanks again :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic post. What a great reminder. :) Thankyou

    ReplyDelete