Friday, August 12, 2011

I can't save them

I was recently very convicted by a short biography I read about Eliza Spurgeon (the mother of the famous preach, Charles Spurgeon) at keeperofthehome.org. Here are a couple excerpts:

Charles gratefully wrote, "I cannot tell how much I owe the solemn words of my good mother...I remember on one occasion her praying thus: 'Now, Lord, if my children go on in their sins, it will not be from ignorance that they perish, and my soul must bear a swift witness against them at the day of judgment if they lay not hold of Christ.' That thought of my mother's bearing a swift witness against me pierced my conscience...How can I forget when she bowed her knee, and with her arms about my neck, prayed, 'Oh that my son might live before Thee!' "

Finally, Charles awarded his mother great honor when he said of her, "Mrs. John Spurgeon...has been known and esteemed for her sincere piety, her great usefulness and humility... The prayerful solicitude with which she trained her children has been rewarded by each one of them making a public profession of their faith in Christ. Two of her sons occupy foremost places in the metropolis as preachers of the gospel; and one of her daughters, the wife of a minister...assists her husband in the preparation of his sermons.."

You'll have to go here to read the whole thing.

In reading about this oft-overlooked (I had never even heard of her, to my shame!) godly woman, one of the main things that was impressed upon me was that my attempts at godly mothering cannot save my children. Though I would've never said it out loud, so often I try to do this mothering thing on my own strength, trusting in my (often not so fabulous) mother skills to be the salvation of my children. Not so.

Growing up in a Christian family is a true grace to be sure, but only the heart-changing power of Christ, through faith in Him, can save my children from the sin that will otherwise eternally damn their souls. As their mama, I need to do more than just try to be a good mom. I need to constantly to point them to Christ and His Word and spend time in prayer daily pleading before the throne of grace on their behalf.

What do you pray for your children? What do you do to point them to their need for a Savior from early childhood?

No comments:

Post a Comment