Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The Clothesline





Since we moved out to the country, I have been hanging clothes on the line, partly because I kind of enjoy it, and partly because our dryer doesn't work. ;) In the process, I have found a few things that work for me.

~ Hang the shirts upside down. Maybe I'm the last person in the universe to figure this out, but I have found it works a lot better.

~ If I do a load and the clothes won't be dry before it gets dark, I found that I should go ahead and hang them anyway. That way, they won't get smelly in the wash. I blundered a couple of times and had to re-wash clothes.

~If I have Katie in the sling or snuggli, it is hard to bend over to pick up clothes. Since she isn't walking yet, I don't want to put her on the ground, because I'm a first time Mom and haven't gotten used to the idea of her playing in the dirt. ;) Today, I put her in her stroller and it worked out quite well. She was with me and contained, and my hands were free.
 
~If you are running low on pins, let the corners of the items overlap and share a clothespin.

~Iron things that need to be ironed right away. I'm used to having a dryer, so I would just pull Ben's dress shirts out before they got wrinkly. Of course, there's no way (that I have found) to keep his shirts looking sharp without ironing them. If I just iron them before I hang them up, it works well (and it actually gets done). I haven't been great with doing this, but I ought to do it every time.

~To save space on the line: hang burp cloths, hand towels, dishrags, etc. by one corner. They will dry fine. Also, I hang small things (like baby socks) in front of other items. It's a bummer to run out of space on the line and still have wet clothes, so those two things work in a pinch.

As a side note, the above pictures is not my clothesline, just for the record. I got the picture here. I was going to take a picture today of my clothesline--I love the way it looks with sweet baby clothes--but then I forgot. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment