Friday, October 9, 2009

Ritzy Chicken

My in-laws live just half a mile down the road from us, and we enjoy eating dinner as a family frequently. Last night, my younger sister-in-law, Hannah, and I made dinner for the whole Murch clan. We fixed Ritzy Chicken, oatmeal apple raisin muffins, and green beans. I got the recipes for Ritzy Chicken and the muffins from Crystal Paine's ebook Simply Centsible Suppers (which I love and highly recommend!). I wanted to share the Ritzy chicken recipe with you since I use it so often. It crossed my mind to take a picture, but it was eaten up before I got a chance!

Ritzy Chicken
11⁄2 rolls Ritz crackers, crushed (I use the whole wheat kind)
1 stick butter
2 cups cooked chicken, diced into bite-size pieces
1 cup chicken broth
1 can cream of chicken coup
8 oz. sour cream 


Melt butter and mix well with cracker crumbs. Place 2/3 of crushed crackers on bottom of 9x13-inch baking dish. Place chicken over crackers. Pour mixture of broth, soup, and sour cream over chicken. Sprinkle rest of crackers over top. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes. 

One thing I would like to try with this recipe and others is to make the cream of chicken soup myself instead of using a can. When I cook a whole chicken, I have quite a bit of good broth, so I rarely use canned broth for this recipe, and there would certainly be enough broth to make the soup. Fresh broth, fresh raw milk from my in-law's farm, and unbleached flour would certainly make for a more healthful (and frugal) cream of chicken soup!


This post is linked up on Tasty Tuesday.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Mary Jo,

    Your blog is so beautiful! I'm so glad to find you in the blogosphere; Grandma gave me the link to your site and I've enjoyed reading it so much. The pictures of Katie were so much fun to look at; What a sweet baby she is!
    ~Olivia

    ReplyDelete