Monday, July 18, 2011

Menu Plan, July 18-24 {And a question for my readers!}



It is nice to be back in the swing of things. After almost seven months (!) of life as a family of four, I feel like I've finally found the new rhythm for our family--at least for now. Though we definitely still have our crazy days, and I doubt that will ever change!

This week I'm doing a "pantry challenge" of sorts. I did pick up a few necessities (eggs, milk, produce, brown rice, dry beans) over the weekend, but I'm going to try to work through some of what we have in the house rather than spending my full allotted amount for groceries this week. There are a couple bulk foods and household purchases I'm trying to save up for (our 'grocery' budget covers foods, cleaners, paper products, diapers, etc.) so I'm hoping this will help.

The question I have for y'all is: Would you be interested in a weekly look into exactly what we buy with our grocery money, something along the lines of  A peek into the kitchen of an aspiring frugal real-foodie? I have been saving my grocery receipts and thinking about doing this, but want to know if it's something y'all would enjoy.

Here's what I'm planning to fix this week (though it's definitely subject to change!):

Breakfasts:
Oatmeal apple raisin muffins, fried eggs
Potato custard
Quiche
Soaked pancakes with butter and real maple syrup (YUM!)

Lunches:
Strawberry-banana-yogurt smoothies
Peanut butter smoothies (we LOVE these! I usually do 3 bananas instead of 2, though)
Snacks (chips, veggies, dip, fruit, etc)
Rice & bean burritos from the freezer
leftovers

Dinners:
Monday~Baked spaghetti, salad

Tuesday~Burritos (shredded beef is cooked and in the freezer)
Wednesday~ Quesadillas, fruit
Thursday~Corndog muffins, watermelon, sauerkraut
Friday~ steak, mashed potatoes, salad (this is the same steak that's been on the meal plan for weeks! I just haven't cooked it yet!)
Saturday~Week 1 of cooking through The $5 Dinner Mom Cookbook at the farm with my sister-in-law
Sunday~Family dinner at the farm

What are y'all fixing this week? If you need some inspiration, head on over to OrgJunkie's Menu Plan Monday (hosted this week at Finding Joy in My Kitchen)!

6 comments:

  1. I'd definitely love a closer look at your grocery purchases, etc!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would love to see the breakdown of your grocery costs! I'm constantly trying to balance and find the best deals on whole, organic foods. But, there's not many out there that share how they do it! I would enjoy the window into someone else's groceries that does organic and/or whole foods!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I TOTALLY want a peak into your grocery budget. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh. You are tackling one of my biggest frustrations! I know we have plenty in the freezer and pantry, yet there always seems to be something I "need" from the store. I think menu planning helps - I tend to change my mind about what to cook and go for what sounds good that day. When I have a set plan in mind I'm a lot more likely to stick with it and be prepared to use what I have on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, too, would love to see the grocery costs!!
    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  6. So I had to laugh everyone wants to look at your grocery bill! :) I'd be happy to post mine if you create a what not to buy section! LOl! I try but reality hits me..So I do now have a husband (2 years in Sept!) and I've been trying very hard to be a great wife and cook each night etc. Its just the two of us so not as big a challenge as many of your readers but I love reading your site and your family and writings are an inspiration to everyone so thank you so much for letting us in to share!

    ReplyDelete