Monday, July 12, 2010

Kitchen Tip: Flax Seed Meal as an Egg Substitute

Bob's Red Mill Golden Flaxseed Meal, 16-Ounce Bags (Pack of 4)
 A few months ago while I was at Kroger, I found a bag of flax seed meal reduced for quick sale and picked it up, figuring I could add some extra nutrition to baked goods and such. After I got home, I was reading the bag and saw that I could use it as a substitute for eggs in a pinch! I was quite surprised--I had no idea there was a suitable egg substitute for baking (I had heard of possibly using soy flour but--ick!).

Per the bag's instructions, I use 1 tablespoon of flax seed meal and 3 tablespoons of water for every egg the recipe calls for. I have used this substitution several times when I've been low on eggs and it hasn't been at all noticeable in the end result. So, it works marvelously, it's cheap, AND it's healthy. Sounds good to me!

Have y'all found any good, frugal substitutes to use in a pinch when you're baking?

For more kitchen tips, check our Tammy's Kitchen Tip Tuesday!

3 comments:

  1. Great idea Mary Jo. I had no idea either. Thanks for sharing this information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Use half a banana as a egg substitute in baking. You can barely taste it is in there! I am new to your blog and love it! I wish we lived closer because I think we would make great friends! I live in AZ. We have similiar beliefs and styles. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know whether it's just me or if everybody else encountering issues with your website.
    It appears as though some of the text in your posts are running off the screen.

    Can someone else please provide feedback and let me know if
    this is happening to them as well? This could be a problem with my browser because I've had this happen previously. Thank you
    Also visit my blog :: local seo services

    ReplyDelete