Tuesday, April 6, 2010

From Grandma's Kitchen: Chicken/Turkey Tetrazzini

My Grandma got this Tetrazzini recipe from a cookbook she and the other PTA moms put together when my dad and his sister were in school in Honduras a few decades ago. It is tried and true and absolutely amazing. My sister-in-law and I made some for the whole family tonight using leftover Easter turkey and stock made from the carcass. I just have to share the recipe with you!






Ingredients:
-1 5-6 lb. chicken
-5 cups water
-1 carrot
-1 onion
-2 celery stalks
-1 clove garlic
-1 lb. pasta
-6 tablespoons butter
-4 cups broth
-4 tablespoons flour
-2 cups cream
-2 tablespoons sherry
-2 tablespoons parsley
-2 cups (1/2 lb.) cheese, grated
-1/4 cup pimiento peppers
-1/4 cup almonds
1/2 lb. bacon or chopped ham
-1 3/4 cup green peas

Bring the first 5 ingredients to a boil and cook covered until the chicken is tender. When cool, debone chicken and strain broth and set aside. Cook the pasta.

In another pot, make the sauce. Melt the butter and mix in the flour. Then, add the broth slowly. Remove from the fire and add the cream and sherry. Mix pasta with the sauce and chicken and stir in the remaining ingredients. Bake in the oven in a 9"x13" pan for 15 minutes at 350*.

The 10 of us plus Katie ate this doubled, with about one serving left over. As a note, we used leftover turkey meat from our Easter dinner, and used the carcass to make some stock. The amount of meat does not have to be specific, and you can use turkey or chicken. And, for that matter, you can use store bought broth if you want. We also left the peppers and green peas out of one of the pans for the pickier folks in the family.

This recipe is linked to Tasty Tuesday, Tuesdays at the Table, and Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.

7 comments:

  1. Your recipe sounds a little healthier than my turkey/chicken tetrazzini. I may try adding some of these goodies...mine just calls for mushrooms. The basic sauce souinds quite similar, though, with the roux and sherry. Makes me hungry. I love all pasta dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yumm. I'm glad you are posting all of these recipes from your gradma:) They are delicious. Love you... Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks really good. I'll have to put that on the menu, soon.

    Prayers,
    Esther

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love chicken casseroles. Especially when they are made from scratch. Your recipe sounds fabulous! Thanks to your grandma!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This recipe look so wonderful!!!We would love it at our house. Thanks for linking to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No matter what others say, I think it is still interesting and useful maybe necessary to improve some minor things

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’ve recently started a blog, the information you provide on this site has helped me tremendously. Thank you for all of your time & work.

    ReplyDelete