Friday, April 13, 2012

5 Reasons Mamas Should Study the Bible

Gutenberg Bible 03
Photo Credit
It's hard to find time in the midst of babies, diapers, toddlers, cooking, and everything else that has to be done to read your Bible. I know. I've been varying degrees of tired for most of the past (almost) four years, since I became pregnant for the first time. I have certainly had many months throughout my years as a mama that I've slacked off majorly in this department of faithful studying of Scripture.

Lately, I've been discovering anew how important it is to make time every.single.day to spend time reading and studying God's word. 

Why?

1. You can't know God outside of His Word.
The Bible is God's revelation of Himself to us. If anything matters in this life, it is knowing God and studying the Bible, which is the entirety of God's revelation, is how we know Him.

"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." ~John 17:3

2. You need it--on the good days and the bad.
"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." ~Matthew 11:28

"But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God." ~Matthew 4:4


As we go through our days ministering to our families and others the Lord brings to us, it is easy to grow weary. We need the constant encouragement and rest for our spirits that the Scriptures provide. And on the days you're not tired? You still need God's Word--to help keep you from sin, so you can speak it to others as you have opportunity. You need the Bible, period.

If your family needs a wife/mother who is well-rested and physically healthy, how much more do they need a mother whose soul is healthy and resting in Christ?

3. You can't grow in Christ-likeness without it.
"Wherewithal shall a young man [or wife, mama] cleanse his [her] way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word." ~Psalm 119:9

As Christians, we will never be perfect before we are with Christ in Glory. But, our life should have an increasing pattern of obedience as we walk with the Lord. How do we learn to obey? By studying God's Word.

4.  You can't point your children to Christ without it.
"And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart: And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up." ~Deuteronomy 6:6-7

If we will disciple our children, we must first disciple ourselves. In order to talk with them about the things of God as we go about our days with them, we have to saturate our own minds with the things of God.

5. You can't disciple other women unless you know the Bible.
"The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed." ~Titus 2:3-5 

For now, my children are the main focus of my disciple-making efforts. I'm not aged, but, Lord willing, I will be eventually. And when I am, I want to be qualified to fulfill to role God has called older Christian women in the church to--that of discipling younger women. If I don't spend my younger years studying God's Word, I will be unfit to teach others when I reach that season of life.

Ideally, I like to get up early and have time to read the Scriptures in the quiet before my children wake up. Since Benjamin was born, this hasn't happened most days since I was in the exhaustion of first trimester right around the time he started consistently sleeping through the night again.

If you can't get up early, consider the following:
::Read the Bible to your children.
::Read the Bible while your children are playing nearby
::Read while the children are napping
::Read while you're nursing the baby
::Read the Bible when you would normally be reading blogs or checking facebook

It doesn't have to be a lot and it doesn't have to take a long time, but I'm sure we can all find some time to devote to reading the Bible every day.

And if we can't? We're just too busy, period.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you, Mary Jo. I really, really needed this today. God has really been reminding me of this lately: that all the work we mother's do for the bodies and minds of our families is of no use if we do not first tend to our souls. Excellent post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lizzie, I'm so glad this post was an encouragement for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mamas...and everybody..... :D

    ReplyDelete