Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Keeping baby's hands warm


This is actually a picture of Katie from a little over a month ago, and she has 4 teeth at the top now! 
I'll have to post a more recent one soon.

This Virginia winter is a whole new thing for me, having lived in Florida most of my life (back home, it's been in the 80s this week, while we have had frost on the ground!). Our house is heated by a wood burning stove. This is great, because it saves us a bundle of money. We get wood for free from my in-laws' farm, and our landlady said if we used the central heating system, our electricity bill would be more than our rent!

The wood burning stove does pretty well with keeping us warm, but we do need to sleep in warm PJs to stay cozy. Katie sleeps in fleece footie sleepers, but she had been waking up during the night with her hands FREEZING. I didn't have any mittens for her, but I suspect if I did she'd pull them off anyway! ;) So, the other night, determined to keep my baby toasty AND sleep through the night, I came up with a solution that has worked pretty well so far. I put a thin pair of socks on her hands and tucked them into the sleeves of her sleeper. Then over the thin socks, I put a thick, fuzzy pair on, without tucking them in to her sleeves. And, thankfully, she didn't pull them off and has made it through the night all week with nice, warm hands. :)

This post linked to:

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a good way to keep the little ones from scratching themselves, too!

    ReplyDelete