Friday, December 11, 2009

Use water

I used to always use some kind of cleaner when I wiped down my kitchen counters. I try to get good deals on cleaners (and I usually only use natural ones--we don't like chemicals!), but I was still using quite a bit and the cost adds up. Recently, I've been using just hot water to wipe the counters, and it works marvelously. I have really only been using cleaner when there's something extra stuck, or something that needs to be disinfected, like raw meat.

I'm all about simplifying things and saving money, so this has worked quite well for me!

This post is linked to:

4 comments:

  1. Good point about the hot water. Years ago, housewives used this method much more than we do today. I hadn't thought of using it for things like cleaning the counter but will now, though. Thanks for sharing the tip.

    One thing that helps with really sticky saucepans and skillets, is to put some baking soda in the pan along with a couple of cups of water and bring to a boil. It really helps to clean a messy pan. My mother-in-law taught me this one. It works well with burnt pans, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree - water and a bit of dish soap does worlds of goods. I hardly use anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The magic sponges are amazing too. Only need water & voila, CLEAN!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carla, thanks for the tip about baking soda in messy pans! I will definitely try that out next time I have a tough pan!

    Patte, I've never tried to magic sponges before...are you referring to the Mr. Clean Magic Erasers? I'll have to give them a try next time I can get a good deal.

    ReplyDelete