Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Oreo Dessert

Oreo Dessert is a family recipe. If I have the story right, it came about because my aunt needed an egg free dessert for my egg-allergic cousin's birthdays. It has been around as long as I can remember, and is my birthday dessert of choice. Yesterday was my first birthday away from "home", and my sweet mom-in-law was kind enough to fix it for me. As far as I am concerned, the buttery oreo crust, rich ice cream, and whipped cream are only a vehicle for the amazingly delicious homemade fudge sauce. In case my description doesn't have your mouth watering, here is a photo (it's not a great photo-taken last night in the bad lighting). :)





Anyway, here is the recipe:
-1 package of oreos
-1 stick butter
-1 box of icecream (any flavor you want...we usually do vanilla or a vanilla/chocolate combo)
-1 tub of cool whip, or make homemade whipped cream
-1 batch of homemade fudge sauce

For the fudge:
-4 squares unsweetened baking chocolate
-4 tablespoons butter
-1 cup sugar
-1 1/3 cup evaporated milk

First, melt the stick of butter, crush the oreos, and combine. I usually do this in a gallon ziplock baggy. Spread this at the bottom of a 9"x13" baking dish and freeze. Now, take the ice cream out of the freezer so it can soften some.

Then, make the fudge. To do this, melt the baking chocolate and butter. Stir in the sugar until it's all combined. Then, add in the evaporated milk slowly. Heat over low-medium heat and stir almost constantly until thickened (this takes forEVER, seems like. 7-8 minutes or so). Once thickened, let it cool.

While the fudge is cooling, spread the softened ice cream over the frozen oreo crust, and put back in the freezer. When the fudge is cooled, spread it over the ice cream, and put the whole pan back in the freezer. You can either spread cool whip over the whole dessert and freeze, or add the cool whip to the individual servings. The latter is my preference. If you don't want it to look messy like the above picture, make sure to let it freeze for a long time so it's firm when served.


This post is linked to:

3 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Mary Jo PS 23:6! What a blessing to have a sweet mother-in-law make your oreo cake. I will try this out and let you know if bekah liked it...lol Jess

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have made this and it is very yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds wonderful! Thanks for linking to TMTT.

    ReplyDelete