Thursday, December 10, 2009

Yummy Winter Dinner: White Chili

Winter (especially in COOOLD Virginia, as it turns out!) is a wonderful time for soup. A hot bowl of soup on a cold day, really hits the spot. Especially when it's accompanied by some fresh from the oven cornbread. One of my favorite soups to make is white chili. I originally got the recipe from my Betty Crocker cookbook, but have adjusted it some to suit our family.

White Chili
-4 cups cooked chicken
-3 cups chicken broth
-2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (I *love* cilantro!)
-1 can Great Northern beans, drained
-1 can butter beans, drained
-1 can whole kernel corn, drained
-1 tablespoon lime juice (optional)
-A couple splashes of hot sauce, like Tobasco
-Season with cumin, salt, black pepper, and basil to taste

Put all ingredients in a pot and simmer for about 45 minutes. 
Optional: sautee garlic and onion and 1/4 cup of butter before adding the rest of the ingredients to the pot. my husband doesn't like onions, so I pass on this step. Sometimes, I add onion powder and/or garlic powder, though.

This post is linked to on LifeasMOM's Ultimate Recipe Swap.

2 comments:

  1. I've never made white chili but have always loved it. You've inspired me to cook some this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this chili. It's a hit around here.

    ReplyDelete