Monday, March 15, 2010

From Grandma's Kitchen: Beef Stroganoff

My Grandma's beef stroganoff is by far the best I've ever had. It is rich, tender, and just really delicious. In addition, it can also be very healthy. It freezes well, too. I love serving it over brown rice, with steamed broccoli on the side.


3 1/2 lb. Beef round sliced in 2"strips.
1 cup butter
6  tablespoons flour*
1 1/2 cups onions**
1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 lemon{juice}
2 cups water
1 1/2 cups mushrooms
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 teaspoons Worstershire sauce
2 cloves garlic
3 cubes buillion***
3/4 cup sherry
Optional: 1 1/2 cups cream and 3/4 cups sour cream
Baste meat with lemon juice, roll in flour and fry in 1 cup butter until brown. Add the onions and saute until golden. Add the rest of the ingredients and cook until tender.


*I use Spelt flour and it works fine
**I leave the onions out because hubby doesn't care for onions. I think they are a wonderful addition, though.
***I make it with stock instead of water, leave out the bullion, and add a little extra salt.

This post is linked to Mouthwatering Monday, Tasty Tuesday, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Tuesdays at the Table, Real Food Wednesday, and Foodie Friday.

6 comments:

  1. That looks and sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy!! Another great recipe:) Your Aunt Debbie's favorite too!! Thank for posting this one also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that looks delicious! I love family recipes!!
    Win Rachael Ray bake ware at my blog.
    Thanks!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can already taste this--I love stroganoff and haven't made it in a long, long while. Thanks for this wonderful recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made this recipe last night for dinner and it was yummy!! Thanks!

    I did use less butter when browning the meat and it was still very good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is really good! I made it tonight and even my picky 2 yr old loved it. I have only had stroganoff where the main ingredient was onion soup. I had to find something different since I am nursing my 11 week old. I thought it would make her sick. Any way its really great! Oh and fyi, the apple bake oatmeal is amazing too! I understand why you have it frequently; I make it every week. I will definitely be raving about your recipes on my blog. Thank you! www.chatterboxmama.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete