Monday, March 1, 2010

From my Grandma's Kitchen: Ham Loaf and Raisin Sauce

We made it to my Grandma's house tonight just in time for a delicious dinner of ham loaf, sweet potatoes, and green beans. Grandma has been making ham loaf for as long as I can remember, and it is really good. So, here is the recipe for your tasting pleasure. Grandma says she always makes two loaves because it freezes very well. Leftovers are also really yummy on sandwiches.


Grandma's Ham Loaf:

-2 eggs
-1 cup milk
-2 cups fresh bread cubes
-1/4 teaspoon cloves
-2 teaspoons salt
-1/2 teaspoon pepper
-1/2 lb. ground beef
-1/2 lb. ground pork
-1.5 lbs. ground ham

In a bowl, combine eggs, milk, bread, and seasonings. Let stand until the bread is soft. Mix in the rest of the ingredients. Pack into a greased loaf pan. Bake at 350* for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Pour off fat and bake 15 minutes more.

This raisin sauce makes a delicious topping for the ham loaf. It is pictured above.

Mix 1/2 cup brown sugar (I'm sure Sucanat would work if you wanted to use it), 1 teaspoon dry mstard, 2 tablespoons cornstarch, and slowly stir in 2 tablespoons vinegar. Add 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 1.5 cups water, 1/2 cup raisins, and 2 tablespoons butter. Cook until thickened.

8 comments:

  1. I don't think Ive ever had this, but it looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never had a meat loaf like that and I have to say it sounds wonderful! I especially like the idea of the raisin sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh yummmmmmmmm. How delicious this looks. I've never tried a ham loaf..I will try this one though..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - how incredibly different. I love trying new things. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of this before but, it sounds delicious!
    Love Granny recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love different ways to prepare meatloaf, and this sounds like a winner. Hope you have a great weekend.
    gollum

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made a ham loaf years ago, and lost the recipe. This comes close ......so I made it and it is delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Agnes, So glad you enjoyed the recipe! Grandma's Ham Loaf is one of our family's favorites. :o)

    ReplyDelete