Monday, March 22, 2010

Healthified Carrot Cake

Remember the carrot cake I made for Katie's birthday? It turned out pretty good, so I wanted to share the recipe with y'all. It's healthy enough I wouldn't mind serving it for breakfast without the frosting. It's best if you leave it in the fridge for a day or two before serving. This seems to make it even more moist and flavorful.

1 1/2 cups Sucanat
1 cup melted butter
3 eggs
2 cups soft white wheat flour
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cups shredded carrots

Heat the oven to 350*. Grease and flower a 9x13 inch baking pan or two 8 or 9 inch round cake pans. Beat Sucanat, butter, and eggs on low for about 30 seconds. Add flour, cinnamon, baking soda, vanilla, and salt and beat for about 1 minute. Stir in carrots. Pour into pan. For a 9x13 pan, bake 40-45 minutes. For round pans, bake 30-35 minutes. Cool completely and then frost if desired. For the frosting, I combined 8 oz. cream cheese, 2 cups organic powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla, a about a tablespoon of milk.

I originally got this recipe from my Betty Crocker cookbook and changed it up for our family's healthier ingredient preferences.


This post is linked to Mouthwatering Monday, Tasty Tuesday, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Tuesdays at the Table, Ultimate Recipe Swap, and Foodie Friday.

9 comments:

  1. my mother in law used to love carrot cake. I loved the fact this is a healthier recipe

    ReplyDelete
  2. yumm, yumm! :)
    I may have to try that this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love carrot cake! Thank you for opening my eyes to a new and healthier version.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great carrot cake recipe! YUM!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What is Sucanat? I've seen it as an ingredient in a couple of the Tasty Tuesday recipes, but have never heard of it. This cake sounds delicious, by the way. Thanks for sharing.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa:

    Sucanat is unrefined sugar. It's basically just dehydrated cane juice. It measures cup-for-cup with white sugar, but packs a bit of nutritional punch with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds delicious! I love carrot cake! Rene'

    ReplyDelete
  8. what brand/kind of grinder do you use to grind your grains? i'm kinda new to grinding my own grains. so far i've just been using my magic bullet until i find a good grinder. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lora, I use a WonderMill to grind my grains. I purchased it about 4 years ago and it's still going strong. I love it! I got mine from MarmeeDear.com. She sells a few different brands and is very helpful and sweet. :)

    ReplyDelete