Monday, February 1, 2010

Baking Day Results

My baking days did not go exactly as I had planned. Starting Friday night and going through Saturday, we got a lot of snow. For part of the weekend, our pipes were frozen leaving us without running water. Saturday, I brought ingredients to my in-laws' house to make the chocolate-fresh cranberry scones I was planning to make. Once I got it all together, I found out their oven needed some repairs. So, that dough is ready to be baked tomorrow. Last night, I began soaking grains for today's baking.  I also soaked a few pounds of pinto beans. Here's what I ended up with:



These Giant Breakfast Cookies turned out quite tasty! I soaked the oats and whole wheat flour last night, substituting yogurt (watered down) for the butter milk, since that is what I had on hand. I also used Sucanat instead of honey, and coconut oil instead of butter. They are definitely not typical, dessert-y, ultra-sweet cookies, but they are tasty,filling, and healthy enough that I let my 11 month old have part of one. They sort of remind me of a muffin or a cakier granola bar. They will definitely be added to my regular rotation of recipes. I think it will make a nice grab and go breakfast on Sunday mornings, especially.



This was my first attempt at making homemade tortillas. I followed the recipe at Keeper of the Home, except I completely forgot to soak the flour for these last night. I was kind of bummed out about that, but I guess I can do it next time. There will definitely be a next time! I used freshly ground spelt flour and these turned out absolutely wonderful! The flavor is way better than store bought tortillas, and they are much healthier. In fact, they only have spelt, coconut oil, water, and salt. Much better than the long, yucky ingredient lists on some store bought tortillas. My sister-in-law helped me roll these out, which was such a help! I may look into getting a tortilla press, since I think these will become a staple at our house.




This was my first time cooking dry beans in the crock pot, and I am so pleased with the results! It was so easy! I had a ham bone in the freezer which I added to the pot while the beans cooked all day, and it added a really nice flavor. 

I am going to put some flour to soak tonight for bread and pizza dough so I can make those tomorrow. I accidentally let myself run out of Sucanat, so I am going to use maple syrup in the bread, and raw sugar in the pizza crust. Since there is so little sugar (1/4 cup for 4 pizza crusts), I am not too worried about it. I'd prefer to use Sucanat, but we are snowed it, so I have to just use what's on hand.

Linked to:

6 comments:

  1. Just 'found' your blog! Great pictures and recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a post on my blog about a wonderful pizza crust recipe here: http://simplyhomemaking60.blogspot.com/2009/12/pizza-for-crowd.html It is whole grain and definitely soaked! Easy to do, and delicious. I admire your endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! I need a tortilla press too! I let myself off the hook this time and bought my tortillas b/c I didn't want to roll them out, but I really want to make my own!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you share your tortilla recipe? I have one but every time I have made it they totally flop!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A tortilla press makes the biggest difference! I love making fresh corn tortillas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laura:

    I used the recipe from keeperofthehome.org. The link to that site in this post is a direct link to the tortilla recipe. :)

    -Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete