Thursday, February 25, 2010

The Lightlings: Review

I recently had the opportunity to review the book The Lightlings by R.C. Sproul of Ligonier Ministries. It is the first of his children's books published by Reformation Trust.

The Lightlings is about a race of tiny beings who represent humanity. They are created in a perfect world and experience the fall and redemption. According to the Reformation Trust website, "In the end, children will understand why some people fear light more than darkness, but why they need never fear darkness again."

We are always on the lookout for Scripturally grounded books to add to Katie's collection, and this definitely meets the mark. It is a wonderful introduction to some of the most important concepts in Scripture (creation, the fall, and redemption) in the form of a story children will easily understand. There are some words in the story that I think young children would need to have explained to them before they continue with the story. In the back of the book there are discussion questions to aid parents in teaching their children more about the principles set forth in the story.

In addition to the wonderful story, this book has absolutely stunning illustrations. The vibrant color and detail are sure to help hold a child's attention.

All in all, I would definitely recommend parents add this book to their child's library. Quality books that so clearly set forth Biblical principles are hard to come by in our day, and I am looking forward to reading this one with Katie over and over again.

This post is linked to Things I Love Thursday.

Disclaimer: I am being compensated for this review with a copy of the book. However, the opinions contained in the review are mine and are in no way influenced by my compensation.

1 comment:

  1. I recently received a copy of this book also. I am adding to my collection of quality children's books for my own children I hope to have someday...and for my two sweet nephews. I also enjoyed this book.

    ReplyDelete