Monday, February 1, 2010

Papa's Dip

My father-in-law's chips and dip have been a weekly tradition at the Murch house since way back when Ben and I were "just friends." They have evolved over the years from a cold brick of cream cheese with salsa poured over it (that stage was before my time) to a warm cream cheese and salsa dip with meat, beans, and corn. While not necessarily the best for one's waistline (unless you're trying to grow it!), this recipe has been a favorite since I first had it almost 5 years ago. It doesn't have exact measurements for all the ingredients, and can be easily adjusted to accommodate your family's tastes and what you have on hand. With the Superbowl coming up this weekend, I thought it would be a fun recipe to share with you (though, we don't have a TV & won't be watching. ;)

Papa's Dip:
-1.5-2lbs ground meat
-1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
-1 can whole kernel corn
-1 container of fresh salsa, drained (this is optional, but adds a nice flavor--you can also used canned salsa that is more "authentic" tasting, or Rotel tomatoes))
-3 bricks (8 oz. each) of cream cheese
-1 jug of regular salsa (the kind my father-in-law gets is Kroger brand, and it comes in a big plastic jug instead of glass jars)

First, brown the meat. Just as a heads-up, my father-in-law uses a 5 qt. skillet for this recipe. If you don't have one, you might want to make it in a pot. You can chop up a pepper and/or onion if you'd like and add it to the browning meat. Once the meat is done, add in the black beans, corn, and fresh salsa.

Next, spread the meat mixture to the sides and place the cream cheese at the bottom of the pan. Cover it with the meat to help it soften quicker. Heat for 5-10 minutes and turn the cream cheese over. Once it's soft enough, stir it in. Once the cream cheese is incorporated, add the jug of salsa. Stir it all together and heat through. Serve hot (though it's also tasty cold) with tortilla chips.

This recipe makes enough dip for a full meal for our whole family--10-12 people depending on the night. 

This post is linked to:

7 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you posted the recipe for papa's dip. I can vouch for this recipe. It's so delicious and filling too! It will definitely be one to try out in the very near future. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful dip to munch on during the Superbowl! Thank you for linking your post to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is one amazing recipe, I would love to have some of that right now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found you through Marie Madeline. LOVE your blog!
    Oh this dip sounds AMAZING! I am going to have to give it a try. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We eat the chili version of this each new year's eve. Loved by all!

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now why do I think I have to work out for an extra hour after eating this? Sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing. Your baby is adorable.
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum, that soounds so good! Unfortunately, I don't think we're going to be attending the superbowl party because of the massive snow storm here in NoVA. But I might cut down the recipe size to use for my own family. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete