Thursday, February 11, 2010

Breakfast

 

One of my favorite things about mornings is getting to sit around the breakfast table with Ben and Katie. I loves Ben's conversation and Katie's adorable attempts at conversation. Ben is self-employed, making it possible for us to have a nice breakfast together most every morning, and I hope it stays that way. I would love our children to grow up with many fond memories of a couple meals each day around the table with family. In addition to the good company is, of course, good food.

Ben and I both really enjoy breakfast foods, and our little Katie has really taken a liking to them as well. Eating a healthy breakfast is important to energize you for what you need to accomplish throughout the day. So, I make it a point to fix a healthy, filling, homemade breakfast for our little family pretty much every day. Some of our regular breakfast fare includes eggs scrambled with sausage and cream cheese, baked oatmeal, and whole wheat banana pancakes (and don't forget the real maple syrup!). We both enjoy breakfast cereal, but usually save it for the days when we get a late start or need to rush out. Since it's not the healthiest breakfast (though I do try to serve it with fresh milk and fruit), I only buy it when I can get it very inexpensively.

One common problem with cereals is the high amounts of sugar they contain, so when I found out General Mills had decided to cut back the sugar in their cereals marketed to children to below 10 grams per serving, I was pleased. While it doesn't necessarily make the cereals healthy, it is certainly a step in the right direction.

We recently had the opportunity to try out four boxes of General Mills cereals. We actually just opened up the fourth box of cereal this morning. It was tasty, and its ingredient list was much less offensive than some.I think cereal served with quality milk and fruit is certainly better than no breakfast at all, especially in light of the following:
Studies also demonstrate the benefits of eating breakfast. A 1998 study showed that children who eat breakfast tend to perform better at school. Compared to children who skip breakfast, children who eat breakfast score higher on tests, are less likely to miss class or be tardy, have fewer reported discipline problems, and make fewer trips to the office.
What does your family do for breakfast?

Free cereal and information was provided by General Mills, through My Blog Spark.

Photo by Joits

7 comments:

  1. We love breakfast at our house too! We do omelets and breakfast casserole alot. How do do the scrambled eggs, sausage and cr. cheese? Sounds so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly: I brown up some bulk sausage, and then add eggs & cubed cream cheese to the pan and cook. Cream cheese adds a really nice flavor and texture to the eggs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the breakfast items we eat on occasion, are muffin sandwiches. I buy the 100% whole wheat English muffins, use a slice of canadian bacon (or sausace patty), slice of cheddar cheese, and one fried egg. I put the muffin with the cheese and ham in the toaster oven, and while the cheese is melting, cook the egg.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cereal. My husband and I each work 50-60 hours per week. Needless to say, we don't have children - we're not sure where we would find the time! We may be able to change that in a few years though.

    I have been following your blog for a while; I enjoy reading about life experiences that seem so different from my own. I really like the blog changes you have made recently and think you are doing a great job.

    All the best to you and your lovely family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah: 50-60 hours a week is a lot! I worked 40 hours a week for about 6 months (from the time I was about 12 weeks pregnant until Katie was born), and it was really hard to balance everything! We ate more prepackaged breakfast stuff than we do now (and ate out for breakfast more, on the way to work). One thing I found really helpful was using a Saturday every once in a while to make up a bunch of breakfast foods (muffins, sausage biscuits, etc) for the freezer. We could heat them up for a quick, healthy, and frugal breakfast on busy weekday mornings.

    Thank you for your encouraging comments, and I'm so glad you're enjoying my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so excited to find someone else who believes in a good breakfast! I can't wait to try the cream cheese in our scrambled eggs. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Would you please post your recipe for the whole wheat banana pancakes? I've been using your WW Apple Cranberry muffin and Baked Oatmeal recipes the past few weeks, and our children were quite happy to see the bowls of oatmeal disappear. :)

    ReplyDelete