Monday, February 8, 2010

Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting

I got this cake recipe from my sister-in-law back when Ben and I were courting. It's his absolute favorite cake, and with good reason! It is rich, moist, and delicious. It has coffee in it, but the flavor is not overly strong. I personally don't like coffee, but I find this cake quite enjoyable. It would make a great treat for your Valentine.

1 cup butter, softened
3 cups packed brown sugar
4 eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup baking cocoa
1 tablespoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 brewed coffee, cooled
1-1/3 cup sour cream

Frosting:
2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, softened
8 squares (1 ounce each) unsweetened chocolate, melted
1/2 cup brewed coffee, cooled
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
4 cups confectioner's sugar

Note: You could substitute whole wheat pastry flour for the all purpose flour, sucanat for the sugar, and organic dairy in order to make this cake quite a bit healthier.  I'm not sure of a healthy substitute for powdered sugar, but you could use organic powdered sugar.

In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Stir in vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with coffee and sour cream.  Pour into three greased and floured 9-inch round baking pans.

Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool.

In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy.  Beat in chocolate, coffee, and vanilla until blended.  Gradually beat in confectioner's sugar.  Spread between layers and over the top and sides of cake.  Cover and refrigerate until serving.

This post is linked to Mouthwatering Monday, Tasty Tuesday , Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Tuesdays at the TableUltimate Recipe Swap, Cooking Thursday, DIY Day, Finer Things Friday, and Foodie Friday.

17 comments:

  1. Yum! Sounds delicious! We are always looking for good chocolate cake recipes around here and always prefer baked 'from scratch.' Thanks for sharing!

    Blessings~
    Dana
    www.epikardia.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi, i found your blog through menu plan monday...oh man this cake looks so yummy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh... wow.. I can certainly vouch for this yummy cake. Mary Jo made it for me the first time several years ago, and it was/is scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love cream cheese frosting and coffee. This sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! This sounds amazing!! :D Love me some chocolate! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't like coffee but always used to love my moms coffee cake!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That does sound wonderful, and I'm always looking for a great cake recipe. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Please make this next time you come to Orlando, then come over to my house & I'll put on the tea. I wanna try it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love chocolate and this sounds so YUMMY!!!

    Come by and visit so you can enter my giveaway.

    Geri

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh it sounds so good, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds so Yummy! I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I could really go for a piece of this right about now!

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yummy!! That sounds like a wonderful Valentine treat.
    Happy Valentines!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am not a coffee drinker but I find the addition in some chocolate recipes just enough to give the chocolate recipe a little kick start. I think I will have to bookmark this one and try it next month. Happy Valentine's day.
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  15. Slather cream cheese frosting on it, and I'll eat just about anything. :)

    ReplyDelete