Sunday, January 31, 2010

2010 Goals: February Update

We are snowed in today and our church service is canceled, so I am taking some time to review my goals for this year since the first month of the year is over after today. I have progressed in some, others not so much. I am going to work on planning for each of them today in hopes to do better in February.

::Daily devotions & Memorizing the Book of John: These have not gone as well as I had hoped. I have about half of John 1 down (which I already had memorized--I've just reviewed), and I am way behind in reading through the Bible in 90 Days. I have written out a schedule for my self and hope to start afresh tomorrow. It should leave me with an hour for devotions/Scripture memorization every day before Katie gets up. I find it's just best to get it done before she's up--once she's awake and the day is going, it's hard to find time to set aside.

::Complete a Home Management Binder. Not long ago, I finally printed out some lists from ListPlanIt and have written out a daily schedule for myself, as well as a cleaning schedule. I am implementing them starting tomorrow (Lord willing!). This month, I am hoping to add to my lists with some to help me with menu planning and blogging. I will be reviewing ListPlanIt at the end of the month, with a giveaway! Stay tuned!

::Lose weight. Definitely didn't do well in this category this month. I gave up sweets for the last couple weeks (mostly--I had sweets twice) hoping that would help, but it did nothing. So, this week, I'm going to eliminate all white/processed foods (not just sweets), and start exercising. I'm also planning to start taking Coconut oil before every meal, ala Eat Fat, Lose Fat.

::Improve the quality of our food. The only thing we are using raw sugar for still is Ben's morning coffee. Aside from that, I have only been using natural sweeteners in homemade foods. I am hoping to begin making more things from scratch that have sugar in them. I am going to dive into soaking our grains this week. We have been eating mostly venison for meat and I've been buying organic free range (as opposed to cage free) eggs at our grocery store. I heard about a good, local source for eggs and am hoping to look into it soon. As for milk, I am going to begin trading my in-laws a few loaves of homemade bread per week for a gallon of fresh, organic raw milk from their grass fed cow. When she starts producing more after she has her calf, we are going to begin experimenting with making our own butter, cheese, yogurt, etc.

::Finish 6 classes. I am close to finishing two, leaving me with four more to finish this year.

::Get on a budget, set aside an emergency fund, pay off debt. We should have our $1000 emergency fund fully funded by the end of this week (thanks to the tax return we are expecting ;), and will begin focusing on paying off debt.

How are y'all doing with your goals for this year? If you have a post, feel free to leave it in the comment section as I'd love to check it out!

4 comments:

  1. If you gave up sweets or the last couple of weeks that is great. Don't think you are going to drop pounds right away but you are changing your way of eating. Great idea of going whole grain. You know the stuff isn't as bad as they make it out to be LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susanna:

    We eat mostly whole grains (whole grain pasta, 100% whole wheat bread, etc), but we eat *some* processed/refined foods. I'm hoping cutting out ALL of those will expedite the weight loss process. ;)

    -Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm right there with you on the weight loss issue, sister! I have had 2 babies in the SAME YEAR!!! My figure is shot :( Our goals for the new year are very similar...I am using the Listplanit system too, and love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You looks like your on a roll already this year. I sorta took the month of January off so I could adjust to having a new little one and a 1 year old. It was nice but I'm really looking forward to getting back on a schedule.

    ReplyDelete