Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Cranberry Apple Muffins

I have made about 7 dozen of these muffins in the last three or four weeks. And that's not including the four dozen my sister-in-law and I made today. Hubby loves them. I love them. Katie even loves them, so much, in fact, that she ate two by herself tonight! And, they're so healthy it was fine with me! :) They are absolutely full of fruit and make for a nice, hearty, and pretty filling muffin. As always, I got the recipe from someone else and healthified it and changed it a bit for our taste.

1/4 cup butter, melted
1 egg
1/2 cup Sucanat
1/2 cup milk
1 cup whole wheat flour (I use freshly ground soft white wheat)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 large or 2 small baking apples, peeled, cored, and chopped into small pieces
1 cup cranberries, washed

Combine butter, egg, sugar, and milk in a small mixing bowl. Combine dry ingredients in a larger bowl. Add the wet ingredients and the fruit. Stir until well mixed, but don't over mix. Spoon into greased muffin tin and bake at 350* for 25-30 minutes. Makes 12 muffins. You might as well double it, because they'll be gone in a flash. ;)

This recipe linked to:
PS: I will try to remember to add a photo next time I make these!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for linking up to A Season of Cooking today!! These sound yummy! next week is avocados. hope to have you join us in the future!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy Mary Jo! I can hardly wait to try these out. I have a package of cranberries:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Followed your link from Twitter! These look great! Okay, but what is Sucanat? Is it a sugar substitute? (feeling dumb!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sucanat is a natural sweetener. It's dehydrated cane juice, so it's basically just unrefined sugar. Has more vitamins/minerals & doesn't weaken your immune system as much as sugar, or make you gain as much weight. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where do you purchase your sucanat? And, does it have other names?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I get Sucanat at our local health food store. There is a similar sweetener called Rapadura. But, those are the only two I know of.

    ReplyDelete