Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Super Delicious, Healthy Pumpkin Bread



This is the pumpkin bread recipe I have used for several years, with some slight tweaking on my part. I originally got the recipe from this cookbook. I have changed it some to make it more healthy, and suited to our taste.

1 2/3 cup whole wheat flour (I use freshly ground soft white wheat)
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup butter
1 1/4 cup Sucanat or Rapadura (honey also works. And so does sugar, but I avoid using that)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
1 cup mashed pimpkin
1/3 cup water
optional: 1/2 cup nuts

Grease loaf pan. Stir together the dry ingredients in a small mixing bowl. In a medium mixing bowl, cream together butter and sweetener of choice. Add the eggs. Stir in the pumpkin. Add the dry ingredients and the water and stir until smooth. Turn batter into loaf pan and bake for 45-55 minutes at 350*.

This post linked to:

1 comment: