Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Apple baked oatmeal

Oatmeal is a delicious, healthy, and frugal breakfast and really hits the spot on cold mornings. But, I don't really care for oatmeal as just a hot cereal. Enter: Baked oatmeal. It has a more cake-like consistency as opposed to mushy oatmeal cooked on the stove. I originally got the recipe from Crystal Paine, but have changed it for our preferences.

1/2 cup butter or coconut oil, melted
1/2 cup Sucanat 
2 eggs
3 cups oats

2tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 cup milk 

1 cup chopped apple, peeled if you want (I usually just use 1 medium apple) 

Combine all ingredients and pour into a greased 9inch cake pan. Bake at 375* for about 30 minutes, until top browns slightly. I spread some organic butter on mine! This can also bake in an 8x8 square baking dish. If you double it, you can use a 9x13 or 2 cake pans.   

As a side note, this recipe can be made the night before and refrigerated until morning. It also reheats nicely.






This post linked to:

6 comments:

  1. Yum! I haven't had baked oatmeal in ages :o) I think I'll put this on my menu soon.

    Blessings,
    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just love baked oatmeal at our house. Thanks for sharing with Tasty Tuesday.:) Precious blessings you have. Love the header.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are huge fans of baked oatmeal. Yours looks wonderful!

    Your family is beautiful and you have a lovely blog :)

    Warm wishes & Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found your blog via the "Eat From The Pantry Challenge". I've also been looking around for baked oatmeal recipes. I found one at another participant's blog and now this one which looks so good too. Thank you for sharing it. Enjoy that little one!

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds so delicious, Mary Jo. I have company & maybe I'll bake the oatmeal for tomorrow. I want to use pumpkin & pumpkin spices. I'll let you know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will have to try this. Sounds good.

    ReplyDelete