Friday, January 29, 2010

Freezer Cooking Plan

After yesterday's disposal of some freezer fails from past months, I will admit some slight hesitation about joining in freezer cooking again this month. I think for now, I am going to shy away from main meals, and focus on filling our freezer with some baked goods and cooked ingredients to help make meal prep faster. I am also going to begin experimenting some with soaking our whole grains, since that is one of my goals for this year. With that in mind (and assuming our power doesn't go out in tomorrow's expected snow!), here is a list of recipes I'm planning to try this time around:


Breakfast Items:
::Giant Breakfast Cookies: If my husband doesn't mind having cookies for breakfast, I think these would be an easy, healthy breakfast to eat on the way to church on Sunday mornings. We're always in a hurry, so it would be nice to just pop it out of the freezer and go! I'm going to soak the grains in this recipe overnight.

::Chocolate-Fresh Cranberry Scones: I still have some fresh cranberries in my freezer that I scored for about $0.60/bag and some organic chocolate chips I got way reduced, so I'm going to give these a try. They look delicious, and I think Ben would really enjoy them with his morning coffee! I'm going to use freshly ground whole wheat pastry flour instead of self rising white flour, though.

Main Meal Items:
::Homemade Soaked Tortillas: I have been wanting to try my hand at homemade tortillas for weeks and just haven't done it. So now, I'm going to! I don't have a tortilla press, so I'm going to have to hand roll them. I guess if it becomes something I do regularly, I'll probably look into getting a press.

::Pinto Beans: I am going to cook up a few pounds of pinto beans and freeze them in meal-sized portions. I have a ham bone in the freeze to include in the pot while they cook, so that should add some nice flavor. I'm going to freeze some beans with ham, to serve with cornbread, some plain to go in queadillas and chili, and season some with chili seasoning to use in the place of spicy chili beans in Fiesta Taco Casserole.

::Pizza Dough: I tried freezing pizza dough recently and it worked great! Just take it out of the freezer in the morning and it's ready to go by supper time. :)

Breads:
::Soaked Whole Grain Bread: I am going to try this recipe with a combination of wheat and spelt. I don't have any dough enhancer, so it probably won't turn out quite the same, but I bet it will still be good.

::Corn Muffins: Not much to say about these--hubby loves them and it's so nice to pull a couple out of the freezer and pop them in the oven to go with lunch or dinner, or even to have as a snack topped with some butter!

So, that's it for me this time around. I'll post some pictures Monday of the results!

Linked to:

2 comments:

  1. I also am really wanting to started soaking my grains. I want to soak all of them though even rice. This will take some doing though because I haven't ever done it before! Do you have Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon? It has a lot of really good healthy recipes. I plan to use mine a lot more now that I want to start soaking my grains.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura:

    I have been wanting to start soaking all our grains, too. I'm going to take the plunge and experiment this weekend. From what I've read, it's not actually all that hard. It just requires some planning ahead. I do have Nourishing Traditions. I don't make many of the recipes, but it's a great resource to have!

    If you click the link I have in the post about soaking grains, you'll find a really good article on the subject by Lindsay who blogs at passionatehomemaking.com. I found it very helpful, myself. :)

    ReplyDelete