Saturday, January 9, 2010

Lessons from Up

Last night, Ben and I rented up the Disney/Pixar movie Up. Yes, we're adults, and no, we don't have children old enough to watch movies. ;) But, I had heard good things about it and thought it looked like a nice movie, and I was in the mood for something light and fun. I really enjoyed it.

I liked the beginning. I loved how the main character and his wife met and how their relationship was developed. I was sad when they lost their baby. I loved watching them grow old together, and I cried when the wife died. My heart broke for poor Carl, left alone after his childhood sweetheart died. I felt bad for him that his cozy home was surrounded by a huge building project.

I loved the character, Russel. I really enjoyed the interactions between Carl and and Russel and loved watching how Carl really ended up becoming a father figure to him. It was all very "real." And, I was excited when Carl's plan worked and they headed to Paradise Falls. At that point, the movie became more "cute" and less charming, but we still enjoyed it.

The other part that made me cry (I wasn't really planning to cry while watching a cartoon, but alas...) was when Carl was looking back through Ellie's "Adventure book" at the photos of their life she had put in it, and the sweet note she left. Again, I was thinking about Ben and I. Through my tears, I said to Ben, "One day, one of us will be all alone looking through old pictures."

And, it's true. I was thinking about us and our life that I have grown to love so very much. I love being Ben's wife, and the thought of it one day being over, and having to say "good-bye" broke my heart. Just like Carl and Ellie's entire relationship from childhood to old age didn't last more than 20 minutes on the screen, I'm sure time will fly by and we will look back and wonder what happened to the 15 and 20 year olds we were when we first fell in love and be shocked that our time is up already.

Up was charming, cute, silly, funny, and very enjoyable.  I loved how marriage was portrayed as marriage should be, and how children were viewed as a blessing. I loved the way the characters interacted and the way all the relationships developed. There were some things I didn't love, like the talking dogs and the "bad guy", but overall, I think it was worth watching.

I came away with a renewed urgency not to waste a moment. I don't want to get to the end and be filled with regret. I want to speak wisely and kindly, love tenderly, submit joyfully, and do everything I can to make our life together the best and most Christ-honoring it can possibly be, and teach my daughter to do the same. Life is just far too short and far too sweet to waste.

3 comments:

  1. My dear Mary Jo. I continue to learn so much from you. Thank you! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Up" was "Down", in my opinion. It was too sad for me to ever watch again. :) But yeah, definitely good morals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Jessica. The movie was pretty much a downer. Too sad for my kiddos as well.

    ReplyDelete