Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Clean up as you go along



Ever since I started experimenting in my parents' kitchen several years ago (around the same time I became interesting in the wonderful guy who is now my husband...correlation, perhaps? :), my Mom constantly impressed upon me to clean up as I go along in the kitchen.

As soon as an ingredient is used, put it away. When you finish with a bowl, pan, spoon or other item, put it in a sink of water to soak for easier clean up later. And, use spare moments (waiting for something to simmer or while you're browning meat, for example) to go ahead and start washing. It's amazing what you can get done in just a minute or two!

It's such a simple concept, but it has saved me so much time in the kitchen!

Thanks, Mom. :)

This post linked to:

5 comments:

  1. I agree that it works out better in the end if you clean as you go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so true! I learned this early on and has served me well in all of my tiny kitchens. Otherwise, you run out of room to work!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your mother was wise! I have no choice to do this as my counter top is very small, maybe 24 inches wide or so. Very good tip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do this too, but sometimes it drives my husband a little crazy (when I try to finish my cooking dishes before dinner)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As you know "mimommy" taught me about putting away as I went along cooking. I know you'll teach Katie also:) NOTE: "Mimmomy" was the name Mary Jo gave her maternal grandmother (my mom).

    ReplyDelete